Help for tornado victims

05/06/2007 1:01 AM

01/24/2008 5:15 PM

At the shelter at Barclay College in Haviland, 12 miles east of Greensburg, Red Cross workers Saraphena Tannahill of Derby and Donna Ward of Coldwater said they desperately need phone service or some other way to communicate with workers at the shelter at the high school or nearby church.

As people come in looking for missing family members, the shelters don't have a good way to talk to one another, they said.

All the land line phone service is down, and cell connections are poor in Haviland. It appears that several people are still unaccounted for, just by the volume of people looking for loved ones.

The entire population of Greensburg has been displaced.

If you're concerned about someone in the affected areas, you can check the Red Cross' Web site,, and click on the "Safe and Well" link. The page allows people to select from a list of messages that let others know the status of themselves or their loved ones.

How you can help

Trained volunteers are in the affected areas now, but others who want to volunteer should call the Midway-Kansas Chapter on Monday 316-219-4000.

Andrea Anglin, spokeswoman for the Midway-Kansas Chapter of the American Red Cross, said one of the most significant things those who wish to help can do is offer monetary donations.

In the Wichita area, donations may be made to: Midway-Kansas Chapter, American Red Cross, P.O. Box 3726, Wichita, KS 67201.

Salvation Army emergency disaster services teams are on the scene, along with two emergency disaster mobile feeding units. The units, based in Dodge City and Hutchinson, are capable of feeding up to 2,000 people a day.

The Salvation Army has pastors on hand to provide spiritual comfort.

Anyone wishing to donate to the Salvation Army's emergency disaster relief efforts may do so by calling 1-800-SAL-ARMY.

Towne East Square, Towne West Square and east and west Slumberland locations are collecting goods and donations.

Help with food costs

House Minority Leader Dennis McKinney, D-Greensburg, said emergency food stamps will be available for Greensburg residents and others displaced by the storm. Extra staff will be on hand Monday morning at the Pratt office of Social and Rehabilitation Services, 802 S. Main, to process applications. The phone number is 620-672-5955.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service