Hillary Clinton has decided to delay a planned Sunday visit to Charlotte after Mayor Jennifer Roberts on Friday urged the presidential candidates to postpone trips, the campaign announced late Friday. Clinton is planning to reschedule the visit for a week later.
Clinton’s planned visit, announced Friday, would have come one day before her first debate with Donald Trump, and followed violent protests over Tuesday’s fatal police shooting of Keith Lamont Scott.
But Roberts said on CNN that she would prefer that the presidential candidates delay visits so security resources will not be stressed. Trump has also planned to visit Tuesday; it was not immediately clear whether that trip is still planned.
“If possible, I would encourage them to come at a later date,” Roberts said, explaining that local law enforcement is strained now. “We would hope they would come a little bit later.”
In a statement late Friday, Clinton communications director Jennifer Palmieri said: “Hillary is grateful for, and intends to honor, the invitation from faith leaders to visit with the Charlotte community. After further discussions with community leaders, we have decided to postpone Sunday’s trip as to not impact the City’s resources.
“She will plan to visit Charlotte next Sunday, provided circumstances allow. In the meantime her prayers are with the people of Charlotte during these difficult days.”
Clinton is calling on the city of Charlotte to publicly release the police video from the Scott shooting.
In a Twitter post Friday, Clinton wrote: “Charlotte should release police video of the Keith Lamont Scott shooting without delay. We must ensure justice & work to bridge divides.”
The tweet is signed with an “H,” meaning that it comes from her personally.
Clinton campaigned in North Carolina last week, when she criticized the state’s controversial House Bill 2 during a rally in Greensboro.