CAIRO — Yemen's president on Friday declared the country's six-year war with northern rebels over, saying the Shiite militants are living up to a cease-fire agreement signed last month.
After years of sporadic fighting, Yemen has come under international pressure to quickly end the conflict — which spilled over into Saudi Arabia late last year — to free up resources to confront a separate threat from an al-Qaida offshoot in the country.
In an interview with the Saudi-owned Al-Arabiya television, Ali Abdullah Saleh said rebels have given "positive signs" that they are committed to the cease-fire they struck with the government in February.
Mexican army kills two in battle with gunmen
Never miss a local story.
MONTERREY, Mexico — A shoot-out erupted in the streets of a northeastern Mexican city Friday, killing two suspected drug cartel gunmen and wounding a soldier.
The gunmen opened fire on an army patrol outside the gates of a prestigious private university in Monterrey, the army said in a statement.
Soldiers seized guns, ammunition and hand grenades at the scene.
The wounded soldier is in stable condition.
The previous day, gunmen in a convoy of six vehicles opened fire on a navy helicopter conducting an anti-crime reconnaissance patrol in Fresnillo, a town outside Monterrey.
Marines aboard the chopper returned fire, killing one of the gunmen.