A Wichita firefighter received an electric shock while removing the ceiling at an apartment fire. Firefighters say the fire expanded when the apartment residents went outside to look for a fire extinguisher.
Local civil rights attorney and congressional candidate James Thompson spoke before the Wichita City Council on Tuesday and used national statistics to point out that the number of police shootings in Wichita is abnormally high and that funding for officer training and staffing is too low. (Travis Heying/The Wichita Eagle/Jan. 16, 2018)
Dramatic video shows a Dekalb County (GA) Fire Rescue Department captain catching a child dropped from a ladder during an apartment fire near Atlanta. Two different firefighters caught children dropped to them during the fire.
Early morning snow and freezing rain turned I-235 on the west side into a skating rink with numerous cars in ditches and overturned during rush hour. (Video by Bo Rader / The Wichita Eagle / Jan. 15, 2018)
Lawrence firefighters spent several hours Monday battling a fire in the frigid temperatures at the America's Best Value Inn hotel. Early reports indicated that all of the occupants of the hotel made it safely out of the building.