They were labeled as household goods, but the boxes searched by a South Hutchinson police officer turned out to contain marijuana – 44 pounds of it – in what officials say appears to be the largest pot bust in the city’s history.
Sgt. Jake Graber observed a Hyundai SUV traveling 89 mph in a 65-mph zone at about 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, Capt. Mark Thompson said. He pulled the SUV over and issued a speeding ticket to the driver, Alyssa Holler of Mesa, Ariz.
“During the stop, there were several indicators that are consistent with the illegal transportation of drugs,” Thompson said.
Graber asked for and received consent to search the vehicle. He found the 44 pounds of marijuana and about $1,000 in cash.
“It may be the largest (bust) in the city’s history” for marijuana, Thompson said.
He lauded Graber’s use of his training to pick up on the cues that indicated drugs were in the vehicle.
Holler was arrested and charged with possession of marijuana with intent to distribute, Thompson said.
Strange Kansas stories in the news
Today's story isn't the first time an unusual Wichita or Kansas story has made the rounds.
Here are some other stories you may remember:
- Plan to flush evidence backfires when marijuana clogs toilet
- Kansas’ infamous goat gland doctor may be subject of Hollywood
- Intruder spends night in Kansas home while residents slept
- Wal-Mart customer, angry with self-checkout machine, loses tooth in fight
- Mice chew into evidence bags, eat and nest in marijuana
- Parents arrested after doing heroin in Chuck E. Cheese parking lot, police say
- Brothers celebrate lottery win by blowing up house
- Man who tries to rob 92-year-old woman suffers skull fracture
- Wichita boy’s garage-sale buy holds a treasure for his family
- Crack smoking, having sex in car net couple a trip to jail, Wichita police say
- Man uncooperative after being stabbed in scrotum with hypodermic needle
- Police: Drunken man fed children's parakeet to his pit bull
- Man lay in basement four days after being robbed
- Woman urinates in yard, slaps child, police say
- Woman takes beating, but won't surrender her beer
- Man's suicide shot also kills sleeping wife
- Tattooed bicyclist miffed about being pulled over while wearing a thong
- Couple robbed while inside Dumpster
- Bachelorette party prop spooks Wichita police horse, prompts arrest
- Error on state test slips past everyone -- except for East High student
- Clay Center hunter shoots 27-point doe
- Sheriff: Woman sat on boyfriend's toilet for 2 years
- Police arrest man suspected of having sex with dog