An attempted home burglary in Newton on Tuesday led to a wrong-way police chase on I-135, according to a news release posted to the Newton Police Department’s Facebook page.
Law enforcement officers eventually subdued three suspects – including one who had a handgun – near K-254 and Oliver in Kechi sometime before 8 a.m. Tuesday.
After receiving a call about three individuals who were attempting to break into an occupied home in the 1300 block of West Broadway just after 7 a.m. on Tuesday, Newton police located a vehicle matching a description.
A chase ensued through Newton when police attempted to pull the vehicle over, the release said. The vehicle eventually started traveling south in the northbound lanes of I-135, running other vehicles off the road, the release said.
Never miss a local story.
The vehicle exited near 125th Street near Kechi, where officers deployed stop sticks. Three suspects fled when the vehicle became disabled but were taken into custody soon afterward, the release said.
No injuries were reported. The Harvey County Sheriff’s Office, the Sedgwick County Sheriff’s Office and the Kansas Highway Patrol assisted on the call.
Strange Kansas stories in the news
Today's story isn't the first time an unusual Wichita or Kansas story has made the rounds.
Here are some other stories you may remember:
- Plan to flush evidence backfires when marijuana clogs toilet
- Kansas’ infamous goat gland doctor may be subject of Hollywood
- Intruder spends night in Kansas home while residents slept
- Wal-Mart customer, angry with self-checkout machine, loses tooth in fight
- Mice chew into evidence bags, eat and nest in marijuana
- Parents arrested after doing heroin in Chuck E. Cheese parking lot, police say
- Brothers celebrate lottery win by blowing up house
- Man who tries to rob 92-year-old woman suffers skull fracture
- Wichita boy’s garage-sale buy holds a treasure for his family
- Crack smoking, having sex in car net couple a trip to jail, Wichita police say
- Man uncooperative after being stabbed in scrotum with hypodermic needle
- Police: Drunken man fed children's parakeet to his pit bull
- Man lay in basement four days after being robbed
- Woman urinates in yard, slaps child, police say
- Woman takes beating, but won't surrender her beer
- Man's suicide shot also kills sleeping wife
- Tattooed bicyclist miffed about being pulled over while wearing a thong
- Couple robbed while inside Dumpster
- Bachelorette party prop spooks Wichita police horse, prompts arrest
- Error on state test slips past everyone -- except for East High student
- Clay Center hunter shoots 27-point doe
- Sheriff: Woman sat on boyfriend's toilet for 2 years
- Police arrest man suspected of having sex with dog