Driver in fatal Wichita chase receives life sentence
06/27/2014 6:07 PM
08/08/2014 10:25 AM
A Wichitan found guilty of first-degree murder after causing the death of another man during a high-speed chase was sentenced this week to life in prison.
Keith Ritz, 35, was sentenced Thursday by Sedgwick County District Judge David Kaufman. Ritz is not eligible for parole until he has served 20 years, District Attorney spokesman Dan Dillon said.
A jury took 50 minutes to deliberate on May 14 before finding Ritz guilty of the seven counts he faced.
Those counts included the murder charge that came out of an incident on March 5, 2013. Ritz was fleeing from police in a stolen truck about 10 a.m. when he ran a stop sign and struck another truck on the driver’s side at Harry and Wichita.
Venancio Perez, 39, who was driving the other truck, died at the scene. Prosecutors said the chase reached speeds of 64 mph.
Ritz’s sentencing included a December 2012 chase when he crashed a stolen Corvette. He had previously pleaded guilty to driving while a habitual violator.
Last month, the estate of Perez filed suit seeking $3 million in damages from the city and others, claiming the chase was “carried out with reckless disregard for the safety of others,” according to court documents.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.