Woman accused of trying to kill deputy enters ‘no contest’ plea

01/31/2014 4:30 PM

08/08/2014 10:21 AM

One of two people accused of wounding a Sedgwick County sheriff’s deputy last March pleaded no contest Friday in Sedgwick County District Court to several charges, including attempted first-degree murder.

Clara Crosser, 27, of Gardner, also pleaded no contest to aggravated assault of a law enforcement officer, two counts of burglary, criminal damage to property and possession of methamphetamine. Crosser will be sentenced by Judge Faith Maughan on March 25.

The jury trial for Jason Perez, Crosser’s co-defendant, is scheduled to begin Feb. 24. Perez faces 14 felony charges – ranging from attempted first-degree murder to criminal possession of a firearm – in connection with the incident in which Deputy Lucas Powell was shot and wounded.

Powell was shot at the conclusion of a high-speed chase from Sedgwick County into Butler County last March 11. The chase began after Powell attempted a traffic stop.

Powell was shot in the eye during the confrontation. He testified in July that he has lost vision in 25 percent of his right eye. His vision is blurry in the other 75 percent, he said.

He said doctors have told him the damage is permanent.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service