Crime & Courts

November 21, 2013

Bluml son, biological mom were living together in months before shooting

Anthony “Tony” Bluml and his biological mother, Kisha Schaberg, started living together about two months before they were arrested in a shooting near Valley Center that killed his adoptive mother and critically injured his adoptive father, Schaberg’s former stepdaughter says.

Anthony “Tony” Bluml and his biological mother, Kisha Schaberg, started living together about two months before they were arrested in a shooting near Valley Center that killed his adoptive mother and critically injured his adoptive father, Schaberg’s former stepdaughter says.

A few weeks ago, Bluml, 18, Schaberg, 35, her 7-year-old daughter and a man named Braden left San Diego for Kansas, said Victoria Egerer, a 20-year-old former stepdaughter of Schaberg who lives in Riverside, Calif.

Braden Smith and Andrew Ellington, both 18 and of Park City, also have been implicated in the shooting last Friday night outside the adoptive parents’ home on 109th Street North.

The four arrests came within a few hours Tuesday, Sedgwick County sheriff’s Lt. David Mattingly said. First was Smith, apprehended at 3:25 p.m. at the Sedgwick County Courthouse, 525 N. Main. Authorities found Bluml and Schaberg together at 4665 S. Broadway – south Wichita’s Value Place motel – about 90 minutes later. Ellington’s was at 8:25 p.m. along 61st Street North, near Broadway, in Park City.

All four are being held on suspicion of first-degree murder and attempted first-degree murder, and some of them also are being held on suspicion of burglary or aggravated robbery.

Prosecutors have yet to file charges.

Egerer said she was told this by Schaberg: “I know that Tony (Bluml) did not like living with his adopted parents. He told Kisha (Schaberg) that they were too strict. They didn’t let him do whatever he wanted, and I guess that irritated him,” Egerer said Thursday.

Egerer said she heard from Schaberg that Tony’s younger brother, Chris, didn’t want anything to do with his biological mother. That made Schaberg upset because she felt that the adoptive parents, Melissa and Roger Bluml, had turned the younger brother against Schaberg, Egerer said.

This is the rest of Egerer’s account of how she said Tony Bluml and Schaberg reunited in California and migrated to Kansas:

Schaberg, originally from Pasadena, Calif., moved from Missouri to San Diego more than a year ago after she split up with Egerer’s father, Robert Swank, who died this past summer of cancer.

Tony Bluml, who had lived with his adoptive parents on a rural property outside Valley Center and become a top wrestler before graduating from Valley Center High School last spring, had turned 18. He and Schaberg had been in contact through Facebook before he left for California with the man Egerer knew as Braden.

The two men started staying with Schaberg around two months ago. Schaberg had a girlfriend at the time who financially supported everyone.

There was pot-smoking in the home, Egerer said, based on what she heard and saw.

Egerer said Schaberg told her that a gun was kept under a mattress for protection.

Schaberg’s girlfriend got tired of supporting everyone and thought the others should get a job. Schaberg told Egerer that she didn’t think Tony Bluml should have to work or clean the house, that it wasn’t fair. So Schaberg, Bluml and Braden moved to a San Diego hotel.

Egerer said her 7-year-old half-sister told her she didn’t want to go to the hotel. The 7-year-old told Egerer that she slept on the floor so Tony Bluml and his biological mother could sleep in bed together.

After the arrests of Bluml and Schaberg, the girl was taken into protective custody in Kansas, Egerer said.

Asked about the child, Mattingly, of the Sedgwick County Sheriff’s Office, said, “I’m not going to disclose ... (or) confirm anything about that.”

A few weeks ago, Schaberg told Egerer that she was taking her young daughter and going with Bluml and Braden to Kansas, but didn’t say where. Schaberg said it was too expensive to live in San Diego. It didn’t make sense to Egerer.

Schaberg was saying that “she’s going to take care of everything. And she’s going to prove everyone wrong,” Egerer said.

Egerer said she told Schaberg that she shouldn’t take the 7-year-old to Kansas because she was happy in California and doing well in school.

Egerer wondered how they would be able to support themselves. She said Schaberg told her, and the girlfriend confirmed, that Bluml and Braden had been selling “weed” in California.

Schaberg’s girlfriend told Egerer that Schaberg said they were going to have a house in Kansas and that “there was nothing to worry about.”

Schaberg had been Egerer’s stepmother for about eight years of her childhood.

Schaberg had told Egerer that Bluml and his younger brother had been given up for adoption and that Schaberg and Bluml met in person for the first time in San Diego about two months ago. The two had previously communicated through Facebook.

After the group moved from California to Kansas, they stayed in Wichita, Egerer said she learned from Schaberg’s girlfriend. Egerer said she also was told by the girlfriend that the adoptive parents, the Blumls, took Tony Bluml and the 7-year-old girl to lunch about a day before the shooting.

After the move to Kansas, a friend of Tony Bluml and Braden let them use his car, Egerer learned from the girlfriend.

The now ex-girlfriend called Egerer and said that Tony Bluml’s adoptive parents had been shot and that suspicion had fallen on Tony Bluml. The ex-girlfriend called back Wednesday to say that Bluml and others had been arrested.

Egerer said it has been “mortifying” to her that her ex-stepmother has been arrested in the shooting.

“She had raised me for a good portion of my life,” Egerer said.

Egerer said she tried to reach the Sedgwick County Sheriff’s Office on Wednesday and that someone took her contact information and said they would call back.

Reach Tim Potter at 316-268-6684 or

Related content



Editor's Choice Videos