Suspect in Dollar General killings could face death penalty
10/03/2013 6:43 AM
08/08/2014 10:13 AM
Prosecutors are expected to decide Wednesday what charges will be filed in the shooting deaths of two people last week inside the Dollar General Store near 13th and Oliver.
Because two people died in the attack, state law says the suspect, Marquis Marshall, could face the death penalty if he is charged and convicted of capital murder.
State law lists seven circumstances that warrant the filing of a capital murder charge including the “intentional and premeditated killing of more than one person as a part of the same act or transaction.”
Wichita police said the shooting occurred about 8:10 p.m. Friday when store clerk Zachary Hunt, 22, and customer Hank Harvey, 79, were each shot multiple times near the front of the store. Police have released no motive for the shooting.
Marshall, 19, is being held in the Sedgwick County Jail on $1 million bond.
The last capital murder case filed in Sedgwick County arose from the June 9, 2006, strangulation of 14-year-old Chelsea Brooks. Two men, Elgin Ray Robinson Jr. and Ted Burnett, were convicted of capital murder and sentenced to life without parole after juries were unable to unanimously vote for the death penalty. A third defendant, Everett Gentry, who was 17 at the time of the murder, pleaded guilty to capital murder and was sentenced to life with the possibility of parole after 25 years.
The city’s last multiple homicide occurred on Nov. 26, 2009, when Jesse Foust and Adrian Jackson were shot to death in their home at 601 N. Chautauqua in what police classified as a robbery. Three suspects, ages 15, 17 and 18, were charged with first-degree murder in that case and convicted of lesser charges.