Pour Haus restaurant fire is an arson

08/09/2012 5:00 AM

08/08/2014 10:11 AM

A fire that damaged a restaurant in the Delano neighborhood early Thursday morning is an arson, officials said.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the Kansas State Fire Marshal’s Office have been called in to assist the Wichita Fire Department in the investigation of the fire at the Pour Haus, just east of Seneca on Maple.

The fire was reported at 6:44 a.m., and it took fire crews about half an hour to extinguish.

“They’re going to be closed for a while,” Fire Capt. Stuart Bevis said at the scene, where the stench of smoke still clung to the air Thursday afternoon.

The fire appears to have started in the second-floor office, Bevis said. While that is where most of the fire damage is, he said, firefighters had to pull down part of the first-floor ceiling to reach smoldering areas and punch a hole in the roof to allow the fire to ventilate.

Smoke and water damage is pretty extensive in the building, Bevis said, because all the water used to douse the fire upstairs came down to the ground floor.

Damage was estimated at $70,000 to the building and its contents.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service