Crime & Courts

January 2, 2012

Unsolved Wichita homicides pose challenges for investigators

Two of the three unsolved Wichita homicides from 2011 present investigators with the same basic challenge — a lack of witnesses.

Two of the three unsolved Wichita homicides from 2011 present investigators with the same basic challenge — a lack of witnesses.

Someone shot banker Timothy McGuigan, who lived alone, multiple times in his home late the night of Sept. 6 or early the morning of Sept. 7.

“In a closed house, you’re not going to hear gunshots,” said Wichita police Lt. Ken Landwehr, who heads the homicide unit.

In a second unsolved homicide, someone beat Marshall Hauschulz, a 41-year-old homeless man. His body was found a little before 8:30 a.m. Dec. 16 on a concrete pad on a bank of the Arkansas River near Central and Nims.

In both settings, there would be a limited number of witnesses, Landwehr said.

In a third unsolved homicide, Thoung Phan, a 39-year-old documented gang member, was shot multiple times around 3 a.m. May 28 as he left a restaurant at 1845 S. Rock Road and was chased into a street. In that case, there were numerous witnesses, but police need someone who knows what happened to come forward, said Wichita police Capt. Brent Allred, who oversees investigations of violent crimes.

Anyone with information on the unsolved homicides can call the police homicide unit, 316-268-4181. Tips also can be given anonymously to Crime Stoppers, at 316-267-2111, at, or by texting "TIP217” and a message to 274637 (CRIMES) from a mobile device. Each method is secure and anonymous, Crime Stoppers says.

If a tip leads to an arrest, callers may be eligible for a cash reward of up to $1,000. “In its 31-year history, Crime Stoppers has never revealed the identity of a tipster,” Crime Stoppers says.

What makes McGuigan’s killing unusual is that he would appear to be at a low risk of violence. He was a 61-year-old senior vice president at Kansas State Bank and lived in a low-crime area. He was known as a passionate fan of Wichita State University athletics. His friends said he would be the last person they would expect to die violently.

As of Friday, police said they haven’t received a tip in McGuigan’s death in about a month.

According to police, McGuigan, who was divorced, was to meet his son for breakfast around 7 or 7:30 a.m. Sept. 7. When he didn’t arrive at his job, co-workers asked his son to check on him, at his home in the 2500 block of North Woodridge, in a newer neighborhood northwest of 21st and 127th East. McGuigan’s son found his father’s body in the living room a little before 10:30 a.m. He had been shot multiple times, mainly in the torso.

The son is not considered a suspect, Landwehr said.

McGuigan was last seen working in his yard around 8 p.m. the night before. At the time he was shot, he was in the same clothes he wore during the yard work. He appears to have been watching TV or using a computer when he was killed.

The likely time frame for the killing was between 9:30 p.m. Sept. 6 and 2 a.m. Sept. 7, Landwehr said.

There was no sign of forced entry and no sign of a struggle or a robbery.

The motive remains a mystery, Landwehr said.

Related content



Editor's Choice Videos