17 Kansas children on missing-child website

09/04/2011 12:00 AM

08/08/2014 10:05 AM

Jaquilla Scales, a Wichita girl missing since 2001, is one of 17 Kansas children featured on the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children's website.

The website, www.missingkids.com, offers a searchable database of children in danger and gives information for parents.

This information is from the center's website.

How many children are missing?

The best national estimates are found in the National Incidence Studies of Missing, Abducted, Runaway, and Thrownaway Children, released in October 2002. The study says that 800,000 children younger than 18 were reported missing in one year, or an average of more than 2,000 children reported missing each day.

* 200,000 of those were abducted by family members.

* 58,000 were abducted by people outside their family.

* 115 children were the victims of a "stereotypical" kidnapping — crimes involving someone the child doesn't know, or knows only slightly, who holds the child overnight, transports the child 50 miles or more, kills the child, demands ransom or intends to keep the child permanently.

What should I do as a parent to keep my children safe?

* Keep a complete description of your child on hand at all times.

* Take color photographs of your child every six months.

* Have your dentist prepare and maintain dental charts for your child, and be sure they are updated each time an examination or dental work is performed.

* Know where your child's medical records are located.

* Arrange with your local law enforcement agency to have your child fingerprinted and keep the fingerprints in a safe and easily accessible place.

* Keep a DNA sample from your child, like an old toothbrush in a brown envelope licked closed by your child, at room temperature in a dry, easily accessible place that is far away from heat.

What should I do if my child is missing?

* Act immediately.

* Search your home and check with relatives, neighbors and friends to try to locate your child.

* If you cannot find your child, immediately report your child missing to your local law enforcement officers.

* Limit access to your home until law enforcement officers arrive and are able to collect evidence.

* Request that your child's name and identifying information be immediately entered into the National Crime Information Center Missing Person File.

* Call the center at 1-800-THE-LOST (1-800-843-5678) to find out what resources are available.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service