Crime & Courts

October 6, 2011

Police hope for tips about banker's killing

A month has passed since someone shot and killed banker Tim McGuigan in his Wichita home, and the mystery continues.

A month has passed since someone shot and killed banker Tim McGuigan in his Wichita home, and the mystery continues.

"We don't have any real suspects to look at," said Lt. Ken Landwehr, who is supervising the homicide investigation. "We have to figure out something out of the ordinary, most likely."

McGuigan — a 61-year-old senior vice president at Kansas State Bank and a personable and passionate Wichita State Shocker fan — doesn't fit the typical homicide profile.

He had no criminal background and lived alone in a low-crime area.

"Those are all low-risk factors," Landwehr said.

Tom McGrath, senior vice president at Emprise Bank and a longtime friend of McGuigan, said, "It just doesn't make sense."

According to McGuigan's friends, he was the last person to have an enemy.

With the case still unsolved, police would like to hear from anyone who saw anything unusual around McGuigan's home between 9:30 p.m. Sept. 6 and 2 a.m. Sept. 7, the likely time frame for the killing, Landwehr said. McGuigan had talked by phone with his son about 8:30 p.m. that night — a Tuesday, the day after Labor Day.

The house sits in the 2500 block of North Woodridge, in a newer neighborhood northwest of 21st Street and 127th Street East, a busy intersection with a large QuikTrip and churches nearby.

People are cooperating with investigators, Landwehr said.

Still, it's the kind of case that can turn on a key piece of information. "Somebody probably has the information. We just need them to come forward with it," Landwehr said. Potential tipsters might not realize the significance of the information they have, he said.

Anyone with tips about the case is asked to call Crime Stoppers, 267-2111, or Wichita police homicide detectives, 268-4181.

Police gave this account: McGuigan was to meet his son for breakfast around 7 or 7:30 a.m. Sept. 7. When he didn't come to work, co-workers asked his son to check on him. The son went to his father's house and found McGuigan's body in the living room shortly before 10:30 a.m. Sept. 7. He had been shot multiple times, mainly in the torso, with a small-caliber handgun.

Robbery didn't appear to be a motive. Police found no missing property, no signs of a struggle, no signs of forced entry. "He either let them in," or some entryway was accessible, Landwehr said.

McGuigan, who was divorced, bought the home at auction over the summer and had been living there about five weeks when he was killed, relatives say. He had a well installed for a sprinkler system.

His neighbors would see him working in his yard — still one of the greenest lawns on the block a month after his death.

Several of the neighbors, who spoke with a reporter, said they didn't see or hear anything unusual that night, even though some of them were running errands around the time of his death and some had windows open because of a break in the summer heat wave.

One of the neighbors didn't realize anything was wrong until he came home Sept. 7 and saw that police had blocked off the street near McGuigan's home.

"It was just a big shock," said the neighbor, who like the others asked not to be identified because of safety concerns.

Related content



Editor's Choice Videos