A fire linked to a charcoal grill heavily damaged a house in northwest Wichita early Wednesday morning, Wichita Fire Department officials said.
The blaze was reported shortly after 12:45 a.m. at 2161 N. Covington Circle, a Sedgwick County dispatcher said. Fire crews found a back deck in flames at the house northwest of 13th and Maize Road, Lt. Chris Dugan said.
It took firefighters about an hour to put out the blaze, which caused an estimated $80,000 in damage. Investigators say the fire originated around a charcoal grill.
The resident had been grilling earlier in the evening, Dugan said. It’s not clear whether embers from within the grill or improper disposal of the charcoal briquets ignited the fire.
Never miss a local story.
No injuries were reported.