Children playing with lighter start house fire, officials say (VIDEO)

09/02/2014 8:20 AM

09/02/2014 4:40 PM

Children playing with a lighter ignited a fire in a south Wichita home Tuesday morning, authorities said.

The fire was reported at 7:45 a.m. at 4148 S. Hydraulic, a Sedgwick County dispatcher said.

The two children who accidentally started the fire are a 7-year-old boy and a 5-year-old girl, fire Lt. Joe Evans said. Fire crews were able to quickly extinguish the fire, which caused $12,000 in damage to a mobile home and its contents.

The Red Cross was alerted to assist four adults and four children displaced by the fire. One man was taken to a local hospital for treatment of injures not considered life-threatening, Evans said.

The incident serves as a reminder that parents need to keep lighters and matches hidden or out of reach of children, Evans said in an e-mail response to questions.

“If kids have access to these items, it’s a recipe for disaster,” he said. “Parents and adults need to treat these items the same as they would a loaded gun.

“Put them up, lock them up, whatever it takes. Just keep them out of kids’ hands.”

Reach Stan Finger at 316-268-6437 or sfinger@wichitaeagle.com. Follow him on Twitter: @StanFinger.

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service