Generator’s exhaust pipe blamed for Spruce house fire

08/22/2014 8:30 AM

08/22/2014 8:31 AM

An exhaust pipe for a generator supplying power to a house without electricity is being blamed for a house fire Thursday night just east of downtown Wichita.

The fire at 248 N. Spruce was reported at 9:09 p.m., a Sedgwick County dispatcher said. That’s near Second and Grove.

A neighbor reported the fire and arriving firefighters found heavy smoke and flames pouring from the rear of the house, authorities said. One person who was living in the house escaped without injury.

An investigation revealed that the generator’s exhaust pipe ignited combustible materials in a structural space of the house, Fire Capt. Stuart Bevis said.

“The fire remained undetected for some time, thus giving it ample time to grow,” Bevis said.

The blaze caused an estimated $30,000 in damage to the structure and its contents, he said. The Red Cross was alerted to assist the man who was living there.

Reach Stan Finger at 316-268-6437 or sfinger@wichitaeagle.com. Follow him on Twitter: @StanFinger.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service