Toddler burned in west Wichita home accident in serious condition

08/12/2014 9:05 AM

08/13/2014 12:34 PM

A 2-year-old boy burned in a home accident in west Wichita is in serious condition, a local hospital official said Tuesday.

The boy was burned just before 12:45 p.m. in the 200 block of North Gow, authorities have said. The house is just north of Douglas between Meridian and West streets.

A 12-year-old boy was babysitting three younger siblings ranging in age from 7 months to 8 years old, fire Lt. Joseph Evans said. The 2-year-old boy was left unattended in a bathroom at some point, when he accidentally poured hairspray on himself.

The hairspray was ignited by the open flame of a nearby candle, Evans said.

“No evidence of an intentional act was noted during this scene examination,” Evans said in an e-mail response to questions.

The child suffered second-degree burns over the upper 15 percent of his body, authorities have said.

Reach Stan Finger at 316-268-6437 or sfinger@wichitaeagle.com. Follow him on Twitter: @StanFinger.

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service