Four Wichita sites among nominees for National Register of Historic Places
12/06/2011 5:00 AM
12/06/2011 6:30 AM
Fourteen Kansas sites, including four in Wichita, have been nominated for the National Register of Historic Places by the Kansas Historic Sites Board of Review.
The state board nominated the buildings last month. It may take an additional six to nine months before the buildings become listed on the national register.
Four additional properties were nominated to the Register of Historic Kansas Places.
The properties and historic district nominated for the national register are:
Union National Bank, 104 S. Broadway, Wichita. Built in 1926, the 14-story building is a classic example of a tall, concrete-framed Chicago-style office building. The building was the location of a student-led sit-in in 1958 at the Dockum Drug Store, located on the building’s first floor. It is proposed to undergo renovation next year for a boutique hotel project.
Luling’s City Laundry, 1730-1746 E. Douglas, Wichita. Julius Luling opened this building in 1924. His laundry employed 60 people, most of them women.
Kansas Gas & Electric Co. Building, 120 E. First St., Wichita. Nominated for its architectural significance, the building was constructed in the early 1950s. It was the first modern-era building in Wichita’s central business district.
Bitting Building , 107 N. Market, Wichita. The four-story building was constructed in 1912; seven more floors were added in 1919. It is named after successful clothing store businessmen A.W. and C.W. Bitting. The two brothers leased office and retail space in the building.
Sedgwick Downtown Historic District, Sedgwick. Eleven buildings are included in the district, all constructed between 1880 and 1930 on the west side of the 500 block of North Commercial Avenue.
Winfield National Bank, 901 Main St., Winfield, built in 1923 in the Classical Revival style. The building’s features include a temple front with paired pilasters framing the recessed entrance and a tall, prominent parapet.
Beaumont Hotel, 11651 SE Main St., Beaumont. The hotel in Butler County was originally built in 1879 as a railroad hotel but was remodeled in 1953 to serve fly-in guests.
Peabody City Park, Peabody. The 23-acre park began in the 1870s as a fairground. Through the years, it was the site of the 1885 State Fair, numerous chautauquas and sporting events. The park, in Marion County, contains a late-19th-century horse track, octagonal floral exhibition hall, stone entranceway, athletic field with stone bleachers, picnic tables and stoves, and plantings.
Horace Mann Elementary, 825 State Ave., Kansas City. The building was designed and built in 1909 by Kansas City School District architect William W. Rose in the Classical Revival style.
Kansas City, Kan., High School Gymnasium and Laboratory, 1017 N. 9th St., Kansas City. Built in 1923, the three-story building featured specialized classrooms, such as chemistry and physics laboratories and a home economics department, a two-story gymnasium, a swimming pool and locker rooms with showers.
ATSF Motive Power Building, 1001 NE Atchison, Topeka. The building was constructed in 1910 and expanded in 1930 to serve as offices for the Santa Fe Railroad shops. The building served as a community center for shop employees and their families.
Church of the Holy Name, 1110 SW 10th St., Topeka. The church was designed and completed in 1925 by Chicago architect Henry Schlacks, who was already famous for founding the University of Notre Dame architecture program in 1898. The Topeka church is modeled after Chicago’s St. Ignatius Church and reflects the Renaissance Revival style.
John C. Harmon House, 915 SW Buchanan, Topeka. Harmon was a local mortgage banker and commissioner who hired Kansas City architectural firm Wilder and Wight to build the house. It is built in the Neoclassical style and features elaborate columns, a monumental portico and decorative windows.
Rocky Ford School, 1969 Barnes Road, Manhattan. The one-room limestone schoolhouse was built in 1903 and rebuilt in 1927 after a fire. The building is nominated as part of the Historic Public Schools of Kansas multiple property nomination for its educational and architectural significance.
Register of Historic Kansas Places
The Register of Historic Kansas Places is the state’s official list of historically significant properties. Kansas properties on the national register are automatically listed in the state register, but not all properties on the state register are listed on the national register.
The four most recent nominations are:
Claude Bichet Farmstead, 2959 U.S. 50, Florence, named for French immigrants Claude Francis Bichet and his wife, Sophia, who settled the property in 1858. The property in Marion County includes an 1875 stone smokehouse and a mid-20th-century barn and milk house.
Stilwell Grade School, 6415 W. 199th St., Stilwell. Built in 1910, the building is an example of a town-graded school. Graded schools emerged in towns across Kansas after 1900 and were often built as one- and two-story brick buildings.
Belleview School, District 68, Caldwell vicinity. The Sumner County school was constructed in 1894 as a one-room county schoolhouse. It closed in 1956.
M.W. Gilchrist House, 1101 W. South Ave., Emporia. In 1876, Marlin and Jane Gilchrist developed the property into a small suburban farmstead of 43 acres.
Join the Discussion
The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.