Although advance voting for the spring city and school primary has been slow at the Sedgwick County Election Office, officials hope it will pick up as 11 other locations open around the city today for voters.
Through Wednesday, only 77 had voted at the election office since walk-in advance voting started Feb. 16, Sedgwick County Election Commissioner Bill Gale said. The election office was the only site where that could be done until today.
In 2007, the last time there was also a mayoral election, 122 had voted at the election office for the same time period. Like this year, the office was closed one of those day for Presidents Day.
"Opening those other locations and being open on Saturday should help (the walk-in advance voting)," Gale said.
Never miss a local story.
Gale said 1,962 mail-in ballots had been received through Wednesday. Mail-in ballots started going out Feb. 9.
That is well off the pace of 4,748 total mail-in ballots cast in the spring primary four years ago, Gale said.
The primary is next Tuesday.
A primary is being held for three Wichita City Council positions — Districts 2, 3 and 4 — and mayor and the at-large seat for the Wichita school board.
In the primary, voters pick one candidate for each position on their ballot. The two candidates who get the most votes advance to the April 5 general election.
You can vote at the Election Office, 510 N. Main, Suite 101, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. today and Friday. You can also vote at an advance voting center from noon to 7 p.m. today and Friday and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday.
Here are the locations:
* Bel Aire City Building, 7651 E. Central Park
* Center for Health and Wellness, 2707 E. 21st St.
\* Grace Presbyterian Church, 5002 E. Douglas
* Independent Living Resource Center, 3033 W. Second St.
* Machinists building, 3830 S. Meridian
* Maranatha Worship Center, 888 S. Webb Road
* Reformation Lutheran Church parish hall, 7601 E. 13th St.
* Sedgwick County Zoo Cargill Learning Center, 5555 Zoo Blvd.
* Sharon Baptist Church, 2221 S. Oliver
* St. Andrew Lutheran Church, 2555 Hyacinth
* Westlink Church of Christ, 10025 W. Central
For more information, call the election office at 316-660-7100, or visit www.sedgwickcounty.org/elections.