Four men who were found dead Tuesday in a van parked at Butler County's Santa Fe Lake were apparently homeless, authorities said.
Augusta Director of Public Safety Tyler Brewer said the men apparently died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Brewer said three of the men listed addresses of 2800 N. Hillside — the site of Wichita's Union Rescue Mission. The fourth had a Wichita address, he said.
Brewer said investigators were not able to locate any relatives.
Never miss a local story.
The four were found at about 10 a.m. in a 15-passenger van that was registered to the Union Rescue Mission. He said the Mission sold the van last year, but the new owner apparently failed to change the tags.
No one at the Mission would comment Tuesday afternoon about the men or the van.
Brewer said the men — ages 46, 55, 57 and 61 — may have left the van's heater running to take the edge off a chilly night. The overnight temperature in Wichita dipped to 42 degrees.
The victims had been renting a campsite at the lake for a day or two, Brewer said. Although the park normally does not allow cars or vans, the oversized van was deemed suitable for camping.
Brewer said the men may have been doing pipeline or roofing work in the area.