A construction crew ruptured a high-pressure gas line Thursday morning on Maize Road south of Kellogg, forcing authorities to evacuate more than two dozen workers from businesses in a six-block area.
Three blocks of Maize Road were closed for about two hours because of the rupture, which was reported at 8:18 a.m.
Kansas Gas Service crews repaired the leak. The repair did not take long, Wichita Fire Marshal Brad Crisp said.
Gas odors could be detected in the area, Wichita Fire Department Capt. Brad Boyd said, and authorities were concerned about the possibility of an explosion.
Never miss a local story.
"It was a critical, critical moment for a while," Boyd said.
The rupture was repaired and the road was reopened shortly before 10 a.m. Employees were allowed to return to work.
The construction crew was digging a trench for a sewer line, Boyd said, and apparently didn't see the gas line.
The absence of heavy winds helped prevent gas from spreading and allowed it to collect inside the hole, authorities said.
One minor injury was reported, Boyd said, but it likely had more to do with the heat than the gas fumes.