State plans meetings to outline requirements of federal health care law
08/01/2013 10:14 AM
08/08/2014 10:18 AM
The Kansas Insurance Department will hold a series of informational meetings across the state about upcoming changes in health care under the Affordable Care Act, according to a news release.
The events will include presentations by Linda Sheppard, special counsel and director of health care policy and analysis for the department, or Sandy Praeger, insurance commissioner. Officials will discuss who is affected by the health law and how the online insurance exchange – called a marketplace by government agencies – will operate.
There will also be an opportunity for attendees to ask questions.
“We won’t be debating the merits of the changes; that’s not our job as employees of the insurance department,” Praeger said in the release. “We just want to make sure that people have all the necessary information to work through the changes put in place by law.”
A new website, www.insureKS.org, will be created to provide additional information. Meetings currently are set for:• 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Sept. 19 at Hughes Metropolitan Complex, 5015 E. 29th St. North, Wichita.
• 2 p.m. Sept. 23 at Hays Medical Center, Hadley Conference Rooms, 2220 Canterbury Road, Hays.
• 7 p.m. Sept. 23 at Fort Hays State University Memorial Union Ballroom, College Drive, Hays.
• 7 p.m Sept. 24 at the Dodge House Hotel and Convention Center, 2408 W. Wyatt Earp Blvd., Dodge City.
• 7 p.m. Sept. 25 at Salina Regional Heath Center, Conference Rooms 6 & 7, 400 S. Santa Fe, Salina.
• 7 p.m. Sept. 26 at Memorial Auditorium and Convention Center, Auditorium B6/7, 503 N. Pine, Pittsburg.
• 2 p.m. and 6:45 p.m. Sept. 30 at the Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library, Marvin Auditorium, 1515 SW 10th Ave., Topeka.
• 7 p.m. Sept. 17 at the KU Edwards campus, Best Conference Center, 12604 Quivira Road, Overland Park.
The department plans to hold additional meetings in other cities in October, but those have not yet been announced.