WICHITA – Sweet Basil owner Charli Singh was in bed around 4 a.m. Wednesday when an alarm went off alerting him to a problem at his restaurant at 2424 N. Woodlawn.
He says he figured it was a low battery or a similar nonissue that he could take care of quickly and then "go back home and sleep."
"I didn't really dress for the occasion," says Singh, who was greeted at the restaurant with firefighters battling a blaze in the kitchen.
Since then, Singh says he's felt a range of emotions, especially gratitude. He says he's thankful no one was hurt, and he appreciates the firefighters.
Never miss a local story.
"They did an excellent job in putting out the fire."
Singh says he was amazed at how well organized the scene was. He says that though the kitchen was "destroyed," firefighters were able to put out the blaze before structural damage occurred. He says he's not sure how the fire started.