Agency’s branding survey puts KU Jayhawks atop list
08/27/2014 8:46 AM
08/27/2014 1:07 PM
A list created by a marketing agency that aimed to find the most popular Kansas brands comes with a few hiccups. For example, some brands chosen among the top 10 aren’t based in Kansas.
RSA Marketing Services in Wichita released its first annual Kansas Brand Power consumer survey this week.
The University of Kansas/Jayhawks were named the No. 1 brand.
Lawrence-based Free State Beer came in second, according to RSA.
Coleman Co. and Pizza Hut ranked third and fourth on the list, compiled following a survey this summer of 500 Kansans. Neither has been based in Kansas for years.
“This survey gives us a chance to see which brands stand out to the people of Kansas,” said Bruce Rowley, CEO of RSA Marketing, in a news release. “Brands define us, define a group of people. What would Silicon Valley be without Google and Apple? It seems Pizza Hut and Coleman continue to define Kansas, even after they’ve left.”
The rest of the top 10 brands were:
5. Boulevard Beer, which is based in Kansas City, Mo.
6. Overland Park-based Sprint.
7. Kansas City, Mo.-based Russell Stover.
8. Garmin, which is based in Olathe.
9. Dillons, which is a subsidiary of Kroger, a Cincinnati company.
10. Koch Industries, which is based in Wichita.