Seminars on workplace wellness programs being planned
12/13/2012 12:58 PM
12/13/2012 12:59 PM
Wellness programs in the workplace are the subject of a series of sessions being offered by the Health and Wellness Coalition, Sedgwick County Health Promotion Department and the Wichita Metro Chamber of Commerce.
The six sessions planned are called the Worksite Wellness Think Tank.
“What we are seeing in businesses is that health care costs are outrageous and something to get under control,” said Debbie Williams, Healthy Community director for the Greater Wichita YMCA and the coalition.
“With the new health care laws in fruition, there are a lot more businesses being engaged and who want to look more at wellness programs.”
This is the first time the think tank has been offered, Williams said.
Sessions will focus on different aspects of developing or enhancing wellness programs. They will include a speaker and small-group discussions.
The think tank sessions will be held from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. at the Chamber, 350 W. Douglas. The cost is $20 for individual sessions and $60 for the entire series. Sessions are open to anyone.
The topics to be covered and dates for the sessions are:• “Creating Value” – Jan. 16 – will focus on getting top administrative support for worksite wellness programs.
• “Don’t Dread Data: How to Get It, How to Use It” – March 20 – will cover obtaining data from insurance companies to target specific areas at your organization.
• “Healthy Campus 2020” – May 15 – will focus on policy development and continuity.
• “The Unusual Suspects of Wellness” – July 17 – address factors that affect wellness besides diet and exercise, including stress and spiritual health.
• “Empowering Your Employees: The Keys to Medical Consumerism” – Sept. 18 – will focus on preventative medicine and screenings.
• “Corporate Case Study: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly” – Nov. 20 – will cover what some organizations do well and what could be improved.
To register, go to https://hwcwichita.org/Think_Tank_Registration.html or call Williams at 316-264-4066, extension 5591. The deadline to register is Jan. 7.
Wichita Top Jobs
Kansas Aviation Museum
Health Ministries Clinic
Residence Inn Wichita
The Cabinet Lady
Derby Recreation Commission
Join the Discussion
The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.