Youth Entrepreneurs Kansas was set to hold its awards night Wednesday at Abode Venue, handing out scholarships and grants to high school students in the region.
YEK is a nonprofit group that teaches entrepreneurship and business fundamentals to students.
According to information provided before the event, the students who were to receive scholarships were:
• Kelci Glover, Northwest High School; Meritrust Credit Union Scholarship, $1,000
• Brandon Norman, Campus; Shelter Insurance Scholarship, $1,000
• Ryan Schrader, Andover Central; WSU Barton School of Business, $1,000
• Jueng Cho, East; WSU Center for Entrepreneurship, $1,000
• Devontae Edwards, Heights; Katie Schuckman, South; WATC, $1,000
• Isrrael Garcia, South; Washburn University, $1,000
• Maisie Pryce, Newton; Friends University, $5,000
• Cassoday Harder, Newton; Kendall Schmidt, Newton; Ellis Foundation, $8,000
• Quang Nguyen, Campus; Holly Hottinger, Winfield; H&R Block Scholarship, $1,000
• Emma Brown, Augusta; Youth Entrepreneurs Joint Venture Scholarship, $8,000
• Emily Arnold, North; Taylor Brockus, South; Caroline Casey, Northwest; Kelsey Dick, Andover; Wendy Gong, Newton; Sammy Sporleder, Campus; Alex Wespi, Northwest; Youth Entrepreneurs Emerging Leader Scholarship, $2,500
• Hadaza Amposta, Campus; David Auer, Kapaun Mount Carmel; Emily Bengston, Kapaun Mount Carmel; Jordan Haas, Andover; Vincent Melon, Northwest; Joshua Yonkin, Andover; Youth Entrepreneurs Founder Scholarships, $1,000.
Business Plan Competition Winners Awards were also scheduled to be given as the culmination of part of regional business plan competitions.
Winners received $1,000, second place $750, and third place $500. The final competition is in Wichita on May 31.
Winners, in order of first, second and third, were:
• Wichita Region 1: Spencer Mathiasen, North; Shelbi Ware, Heights; Justice Kerr, North
• Wichita Region 2: Brandon Tang, Southeast; Natalie Lash, East; Courtney Carlton, South
• South-central Region 1: Trevor Ledbetter, Andover Central; Nathan Wood, Newton; Alex Bontz, Andover Central
• South-central Region 2: Kyle Robinson, Clearwater; Will Snyder, Clearwater; Sam Camp, Winfield
• Todd Ramsey, Apples & Arrows, East High School Business Plan Advisor
• Britt Fulmer, Gentry Ltd., Kapaun Mount Carmel High School Business Plan Advisor
Teachers of the Year:
• Brandon Reith, East High School
• Lisa Yoder, Newton High School