Know someone who deserves a hero’s recognition?
The American Red Cross Midway-Kansas Chapter is seeking nominations for its fifth Wichita Heroes Breakfast fundraiser, an event that honors local people who have acted extraordinarily in the past year.
Eligible nominees must have lived, worked or performed a heroic act in the greater Wichita metropolitan area and fall into one of nine categories:• Community Hero – displayed leadership and commitment to the community by making a positive, significant impact.
• Disaster Relief Hero – acted above and beyond the call of duty in disaster relief efforts.
• EMS Hero – responded to an emergency or provided medical assistance during a crisis.
• Firefighter Hero – acted above and beyond the call of duty on the job.
• Give Life Hero – showed commitment to blood and platelet donation that played a significant role in patient health.
• Good Samaritan Hero – displayed courage and care in an unusual, significant or unexpected situation.
• Law Enforcement Hero – acted above and beyond the call of duty on the job.
• Military Hero – an active, reserve or retired member of the Armed Forces or ROTC who acted above and beyond the call of duty.
• Youth Good Samaritan Hero – a young person who displayed courage and care in an unusual, significant or unexpected situation.
Heroes selected from the pool of nominees will be announced in November then honored at the breakfast, set for 7:30 a.m. on Dec. 10 at the Wichita Marriott, 9100 E. Corporate Hills Drive. Proceeds from the breakfast benefit Red Cross Midway-Kansas Chapter programs and services, which help more than 40,000 locals annually.
Nominations will be accepted at www.WichitaHeroesBreakfast.org through Aug. 29. Paper forms can be requested by calling 316-219-4088.
Priority will be given to nominees who performed heroic acts after July 1, 2013.
For more details or to see past heroes, visit the Wichita Heroes Breakfast website.