Downtown fire damages vacant apartment building

07/23/2014 8:13 AM

07/23/2014 8:14 AM

Careless smoking by a homeless person is blamed for a fire that damaged a vacant apartment building in downtown Wichita early Wednesday morning, authorities said.

The fire was reported at 12:55 a.m. at 514 S. Main, Wichita fire investigator Mark Reibenspies said. Firefighters found a small fire in a second-floor apartment.

The flames were coming from the northwest corner of the apartment, Reibenspies said.

“There was evidence of people living in there,” he said.

The fire caused about $1,000 in damage to the building. No injuries were reported.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service