Students at Wichita State University wanting to park close to classes will have to pay a separate fee for parking beginning Aug. 11, university officials say.
Most students for several years might have been thinking they could park on campus for free. Students for several years have been able to park in open university lots without using a hang tag.
But they were actually being charged for parking, as part of student fees, said Joe Kleinsasser, a university spokesman.
Now, students will be required to pay separately for parking, and get a hang tag, if they wish to park on the main campus.
Revenue raised by the new charge – $120 a year or $60 a semester – will generate about $250,000 per year, Kleinsasser said. That money will help defray new costs of extra security at WSU’s Hughes Metropolitan Complex, and for parking maintenance, he said.
Students (and faculty and staff) can still park for free, at the Hughes Metropolitan Complex near 29th and Oliver, and take the shuttle bus to campus, said Emily Patterson, associate director of facilities planning.
WSU also is working out details to create another free lot served by buses at 21st and Oliver, she said.
WSU students, faculty and staff after Aug. 11 must buy and display a color-coded hang-tag parking permit to legally park on the main campus. Visitors to campus may park in reserved visitor spaces, she said.
Permits will be required from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday. Most campus lots become open (and free) at other times, and during summer and semester breaks.
Vehicles parked on campus during enforcement hours without a proper permit will be ticketed by the campus police, the university said.
WSU on Thursday also announced a new schedule for its shuttle buses.
There will be four main campus stops for the 2014-15 school year, the university said in a prepared statement.
Buses will run two routes: the Metroplex Route (formerly the Metropolitan Complex Route), which serves parking at the Hughes complex, and the campus route (formerly called the housing route), which runs a loop of the main campus.
According to the prepared statement, the new stops are:
• Intensive English – North side of the Intensive English Language Center at 17th and Hillside.
• Wiedemann Hall – This is the restoration of the former Wiedemann Hall stop that was taken out of service because of Shocker Hall construction. The stop will serve both routes.• Hubbard Hall – This is the relocation of the former Hubbard Hall stop that was taken out of service because of Shocker Hall construction. The stop will be located on Perimeter Road just north of Hubbard Hall and will serve both routes.
• Marcus Welcome Center (outgoing) – This new Metroplex Route stop will be on Mike Oatman Drive on the south side of the welcome center. It will allow those parking in lots around Eck Stadium to return to their cars without first traveling to the Metropolitan Complex.
WSU buses run only on weekdays when classes are in session. No buses will run on weekends, holidays, when the university is closed for inclement weather or during summer classes, the statement said.
A limited number of free parking spaces will be reserved for visitors, WSU said in a prepared statement:
Visitors to the Marcus Welcome Center and Woodman Alumni Center may park free in designated visitor spaces in Lot 21E.• During clinic hours, patients of the WSU Dental Hygiene Clinic may park free in designated visitor spaces on the south edge of Lot 6, east of Ahlberg Hall.
• Patients of the WSU Dental Clinic may park free in the Advanced Education in General Dentistry Building lot.
• Patients of the Cassat Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic may park free in designated visitor spaces on the west side of the Hughes Metropolitan Complex.
• Visitors to the Ulrich Museum may park free in designated visitor spaces on the north end of the Fairmount Street entrance.
In a prepared statement, WSU said that for maps and other information, visit www.wichita.edu/parking. You may also follow parking news on Twitter ( twitter.com/ShockerParking) and Facebook ( facebook.com/wsuparking).