Residents displaced by apartment fire near Central and Ridge

07/15/2014 7:51 AM

07/15/2014 7:52 AM

Fire heavily damaged an apartment building in northwest Wichita on Monday afternoon, authorities said.

The blaze was reported at 2:54 p.m. Monday at Raintree Apartments at 777 N. Silver Springs, a Sedgwick County dispatch supervisor said. That’s near Central and Ridge Road.

The fire displaced 24 adults and five children who are being assisted by the Red Cross, the supervisor said. A fire official told media at the scene the blaze was caused by a discarded cigarette.

No injuries were reported.

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service