Kitchen fire damages Stroud’s Restaurant

07/10/2014 8:22 AM

07/11/2014 6:20 AM

An accidental kitchen fire heavily damaged Stroud’s Restaurant in north Wichita, authorities said.

An employee inadvertently left a burner on with a pan on it in the kitchen of the restaurant at 3661 N. Hillside, Wichita fire Capt. Stuart Bevis said. The resulting fire was reported at 10:15 p.m. Wednesday.

It took fire crews more than two hours to get the fire out. Firefighters finally left the scene shortly before 12:30 a.m.

Damage to the restaurant and its contents was set at $200,000, Bevis said.

Manager Kevin Allis said Thursday that apart from damage to the kitchen, the restaurant is intact.

Stroud’s will need new kitchen equipment and minor repairs to the ceiling, but the repairs can be made without having to remove parts of the roof, Allis said. A cleanup crew was on its way Thursday afternoon.

Allis said officials are still looking into the cause of the fire, but he doesn’t expect any foul play.

“We’re just very fortunate the fire department responded so quickly,” he said. “They saved our restaurant.”

While Allis had to move or reschedule dinner-party reservations for Friday and Saturday, he said the restaurant could reopen in two weeks.

“We’re very optimistic,” he said. “We’ll be back to selling pan-style chicken very soon.”

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service