Man, 73, hurt in house fire near Lincoln and Hillside

07/09/2014 8:07 AM

07/09/2014 8:08 AM

A man was injured in a house fire in southeast Wichita Tuesday night, authorities said.

The 73-year-old man was taken to the burn unit at Via Christi Hospital St. Francis for treatment of smoke inhalation, fire Capt. Stuart Bevis said. The man was able to get out of the house at the time the fire broke out in the kitchen of the house at 721 S. Lorraine, which is northwest of Lincoln and Hillside.

He was at a neighbor’s house when fire crews arrived at about 8:40 p.m., Bevis said. Firefighters found a fire in the kitchen and were able to “make quick work” of the blaze, Bevis said in an e-mail response to questions.

They were able to contain the blaze in the kitchen of the small, two-bedroom house that records indicate was built in 1936. Damage was estimated at $30,000.

An investigation revealed the fire was ignited by discarded smoking materials, Bevis said. The man’s injuries are minor.

Damage to the house is significant enough that the Red Cross was alerted to provide assistance to the victim, Bevis said.

and was at

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service