Workers of south Wichita’s Farmland Foods plant were forced to evacuate Saturday over a hazardous gas leak, according to Sedgwick County Dispatch.
One man was taken to Via Christi Hospital St. Francis in critical condition following exposure, a dispatcher said. The leak, involving ammonia, was reported at 2:42 p.m. Saturday, another dispatcher said. The meat processing plant is at 2323 S. Sheridan, which is north of Pawnee between Meridian and West Street.
Dozens of people were working at the time, according to 911 emergency traffic. Fire crews ventilated the structure so chemical fumes could escape.
Authorities are blocking traffic in the area while emergency crews are at the scene.