Fire damages empty downtown apartment building

06/06/2014 8:11 AM

06/06/2014 8:12 AM

Fire damaged an empty apartment building in downtown Wichita early Friday morning, authorities said.

The fire was reported just before 5 a.m. at Market and Lewis, a Sedgwick County dispatcher said. Witnesses told fire crews who arrived at the 84-year-old apartment building at 507 S. Market that a homeless man had been frequenting the unlocked structure, Wichita fire investigator Donnie Eckerman said.

That person likely started the fire accidentally, Eckerman said, with perhaps a candle or cigarettes. The fire caused just $500 to the interior of the old brick building, he said.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service