Candles cited as cause of fire at house on North Cleveland

05/20/2014 6:38 AM

05/20/2014 6:38 AM

Unattended burning candles were cited as the accidental cause of Monday morning’s fire at a house owned by an addiction recovery program, officials said.

The fire at 530 N. Cleveland – near Central and east of Washington – was reported at 8:20 a.m. The fire was brought under control within a few minutes after crews arrived, Lt. Kelly Zane of the Wichita Fire Department said.

“There were unattended candles at the point of origin” of the fire, he said. “We’ll probably never know the actual sequence of events.”

The estimated fire damage was $31,000, he said.

No one lives in the house, Zane said, and no one was there when firefighters arrived. But it was evident that someone had been inside, he added.

“People were there who weren’t supposed to be there,” Zane said. “One of the back windows wasn’t secure.”

The 912-square-foot house is owned by Agape Awareness Inc. according to Sedgwick County records. The organization deals with with addiction recovery.

“They have meetings there,” Zane said, “but they haven’t had a meeting there in quite some time.”

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the discussion

is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service