Official: Discarded cigarette starts house fire on West Maple

05/05/2014 6:38 PM

05/05/2014 6:38 PM

A cigarette discarded into dry grass Monday afternoon led to $10,000 damage to a house on West Maple, a Wichita fire official said.

A passer-by saw the fire about 2 p.m. and alerted a man and his toddler-age grandson to get out of the house, Lt. Joe Evans said. The house is in the 2900 block of West Maple, which is west of Meridian.

There were no injuries.

The cause of the fire was a cigarette that was tossed in the grass, igniting a blaze that spread to a wooden privacy fence, carport, metal shed, a detached garage and the house, Evans said. Fire damage was limited to the exterior of the structures, he added.

“People need to be very careful about throwing cigarettes out of car windows,” Evans said. “It’s very dry. We’ve been pretty busy with grass fires.”

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the discussion

is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service