Man hurt in apartment fire on East Lincoln dies

03/24/2014 2:14 PM

03/24/2014 2:17 PM

A man critically injured in an apartment fire in southeast Wichita last week has died, authorities confirmed on Monday.

Wichita fire Capt. Stuart Bevis confirmed the 42-year-old man died Friday from injuries sustained earlier in the day in the fire at Eagle Creek Apartments, 9550 E. Lincoln. He was identified in a police document as Brian S. Jones.

A search-and-rescue team found him in the bedroom of his apartment, fire officials have said. He was not breathing when he was found, but was revived while being taken to the burn unit at Via Christi Hospital St. Francis.

The fire, which started in a recliner in living room, caused an estimated $15,000 in damage to the building, officials said. The fire is being blamed on careless smoking.

Jones is the second person to die in a fire this year in Wichita, Bevis said. Both were due to careless smoking.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service