Police: Boy, 5, burned while playing with cigarette lighter

03/24/2014 12:44 PM

03/24/2014 12:45 PM

A woman awoke Sunday morning to find her 5-year-old son’s arm on fire, authorities said.

She extinguished the flames in their south Wichita apartment shortly after 10 a.m. Sunday and took him to a nearby fire station, police Lt. Dan East said. They were then taken to the burn unit of Via Christi Hospital, where they were treated and released.

An investigation revealed the boy was playing with a cigarette lighter, which led to the fire at the apartment in the 900 block of West 29th Street South, a police document stated.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service