Man critically injured in southeast Wichita apartment fire

03/21/2014 8:03 AM

08/06/2014 10:30 AM

A 42-year-old man was critically injured in an apartment fire in southeast Wichita early Friday morning, authorities said.

The fire was reported at 1:24 a.m. at Eagle Creek Apartments at 9550 E. Lincoln, a Sedgwick County dispatch supervisor said. That’s next to Webb Road and just south of the Kansas Turnpike.

Firefighters arriving on the scene found smoke and fire, the supervisor said. A search and rescue team found the man in a bedroom in Apartment 505, Lt. Kelly Zane said. He was not breathing as medics began treating him.

He was revived on the way to the burn unit at Via Christi Hospital St. Francis, the supervisor said, but he suffered smoke inhalation and burns to his upper shoulders.

The fire, which started in a recliner in living room, caused an estimated $15,000 in damage to the building, Zane said. The fire is being blamed on careless smoking.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service