A man seriously injured in an apartment fire earlier this week remains in critical condition at a local hospital, authorities said.
Firefighters were sent to the 900 block of North Market at about 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday to check on a report of smoke in the apartment building, Wichita fire Lt. Kelly Zane said. They found thick smoke coming from the front door of a studio apartment.
The fire was quickly extinguished, Zane said. A search and rescue team found the 58-year-old man who lives there and brought him outside. He was taken to the burn unit of Via Christi Hospital St. Francis.
The cause of the fire was careless smoking, Zane said. Damage was set at $4,000.