October fire death ruled a suicide

03/17/2014 11:20 AM

03/17/2014 12:06 PM

The death of a 61-year-old man who was found at the scene of a fire in southwest Wichita in October has been ruled a suicide.

An autopsy report filed last week said David Conner bought gasoline and a cigarette lighter from a nearby convenience store about 10 minutes before someone called 911 to report a fire in the 800 block of West Savannah, which is near Pawnee and Seneca. Fire investigators said Conner used the gasoline to light himself on fire.

The fire spread to the house and a GMC Yukon parked in the driveway, but did not cause major damage. Court records show a woman who lived in the house was granted a temporary restraining order against Conner about a week before the fire.

The report said Conner’s blood-alcohol level at the time of his death was 0.28 percent – 3 1/2 times the legal limit for driving.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service