Smoke in boys’ bathroom prompts evacuation of Mead Middle School

03/13/2014 1:31 PM

03/13/2014 1:31 PM

Smoke in the boys’ bathroom led to the evacuation of Mead Middle School on Thursday morning, authorities said.

No fire was seen by crews responding to the school at 2601 E. Skinner shortly before 11 a.m., a Sedgwick County dispatch supervisor said, but there was smoke in a boys’ bathroom. Crews needed an extended period clearing smoke from the building, forcing students and staff to remain outside.

Class was then dismissed at 12:30 p.m. for parent-teacher conferences, district spokeswoman Susan Arensman said.

“The fire had nothing to do with the early dismissal,” Arensman said in an e-mail response to questions.

The parent-teacher conferences will go on as scheduled Thursday afternoon.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the discussion

is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service