Woman hurt in house fire on Santa Fe expected to recover

02/28/2014 5:58 PM

02/28/2014 5:58 PM

A woman seriously hurt in a house fire in southeast Wichita on Thursday night is expected to recover, authorities said Friday.

The woman was pulled out of the burning home by firefighters called to 1919 S. Santa Fe at 6:15 p.m., Wichita Fire Department investigator Chris Dugan said.

She suffered smoke inhalation and possibly burns in what’s being labeled a cooking fire, Dugan said. She was taken to the burn unit of Via Christi Hospital St. Francis on Thursday night, a Sedgwick County dispatcher said.

Authorities said Thursday that the woman was in her 30s.

“She’s doing better,” Dugan said Friday. “She’s expected to recover.”

Dugan said the fire, which has been ruled accidental, ignited in the kitchen of the home, northeast of Broadway and Mount Vernon. The loss was estimated at $110,000, including $80,000 in structual damage and $30,000 to the home’s contents, he said.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the discussion

is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service