02/03/2014 1:07 PM
08/06/2014 9:43 AM
Wichita and most area schools will be closed for a second day on Wednesday after overnight frigid temperatures followed Tuesday’s snowstorm.
Wichita State, Friends and Newman universities also have canceled Wednesday’s classes.
If you know of a closing, cancellation or postponement, please e-mail details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Following is a list of known closings, cancellations and postponements:
Churches, religious services• First Church of Nazarene in Wichita has canceled its afternoon food pantry and evening worship service.
• The Schweitzer Hotel Men’s Prayer Breakfast in Hill City has been canceled.
Museums, charities, other organizations• Wichita Art Museum’s Senior Wednesday is canceled.
• The lunchtime lecture at Botanica is canceled.
• The Senior Wednesday program scheduled for 10 a.m. at the Wichita Art Museum, 1400 W. Museum Blvd., and the 1:30 p.m. program at the Water Center, 101 E. Pawnee, are canceled.
• The Anthony Public Library will be closed.
• Catholic Charities Adult Day Services will be open but will not transport clients.
• American Red Cross Midway-Kansas Chapter at 1900 E. Douglas will be closed. Blood donations sites and drives, however, are open.
• Workforce Centers of South Central Kansas will be closed Wednesday.
• Aldersgate United Methodist Church is closed Wednesday; activities are canceled.
Schools with cancellations, delays• Wichita, Andale, Andover, Augusta, Cheney, Circle, Derby, Douglass, El Dorado, Garden Plain, Goddard, Haven, Haysville, Hutchinson, Maize, Mulvane, Newton and Valley Center school districts have canceled classes. Wichita Catholic Schools will also be closed.
• Wichita State, Friends and Newman universities and Wichita Area Technical College have canceled classes. Emporia State University is also closed.
• Hutchinson Community College and all Butler Community College campuses are closed.
• KU School of Medicine-Wichita will have a delayed start, opening at 10 a.m.
State offices, city offices, court• State agency offices will be closed again except for essential personnel. The Legislature will also remain closed.
• The Brown v. Board of Education National Historic Site, 1515 SE Monroe St. in Topeka, is closed and will not reopen until weather conditions improve.
• Sedgwick County District Court will be closed. The Court Trustee office will be open only if the Department of Children and Families remains open.
• Butler County District Court court proceedings resume at 8 a.m. Wednesday, except for the 9:30 a.m. traffic first appearance docket. That docket has been postponed to Feb. 19.
• Kansas Department of Corrections parole offices in Wichita, Hutchinson, Emporia and El Dorado are among those closed Wednesday.
• Kansas Department of Labor offices are closed. Hearings will be rescheduled.
• The Kansas Bar Association will be closed. Affected activities will be rescheduled.
Museums, charities, other organizations• The Homeschool Family Math Edventure Day at Exploration Place scheduled for Tuesday has been rescheduled for March 4.
• The Museum of World Treasures has rescheduled its banquet space open house that was set for Tuesday to 6 to 9 p.m. March 4.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.