West Wichita house fire sends one to hospital

12/24/2013 9:47 AM

12/24/2013 3:26 PM

A woman is in critical condition at a local hospital after she was injured in a house fire in west Wichita on Tuesday morning.

The fire was reported at 8:57 a.m. at 1508 N. Westgate, Fire Marshal Brad Crisp said. That’s northwest of 13th and Maize Road.

A neighbor called 911 after seeing smoke coming from the brick house, which records show was built in 1979.

“When crews arrive, it did have smoke showing,” Crisp said of the house.

A search-and-rescue team found the woman on the ground floor of the house, he said. She had managed to escape the bedroom where the fire started.

“The fire was relatively contained” to the bedroom, Crisp said. “It’s done minimal damage,” he said, set at $15,000 to the house and $5,000 to its contents.

The victim was taken to the burn unit at Via Christi Hospital St. Francis, where she was listed in critical condition early Tuesday afternoon.

Her husband was not home at the time of the fire, Crisp said.

Teresa Griffith, who lives across Westgate and down the block from where the fire occurred, said she didn’t see any flames but could smell the smoke.

“I know that smell,” Griffith said.

She had a house fire at her current residence in 2012.

“It was a little traumatic to smell that,” Griffith said.

It brought back bad memories for her. Clutching one of her own small dogs, she asked about the fate of two chihuahuas that lived in the fire-stricken home.

Crisp said later the dogs were fine.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service