Duplex on South Market damaged by fire

11/14/2013 8:00 AM

11/14/2013 8:01 AM

Fire damaged a duplex in south Wichita late Wednesday night, authorities said.

The fire was reported shortly before 11 p.m. in the 1200 block of South Market, a Sedgwick County dispatch supervisor said. That’s near Lincoln.

It took firefighters about 20 minutes to extinguish the fire. No injuries were reported.

The fire caused an estimated $10,000 in damage, fire Capt. Stuart Bevis said Thursday. It started in attic space due to an electrical wiring malfunction, he said.

“It caused significant damage to structural members in the attic due to a long-smoldering fire,” Bevis said in an e-mail response to questions.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service