Burden man dies in house fire; 2 others escape

11/04/2013 6:49 AM

11/04/2013 6:51 AM

A Burden man died Sunday from smoke inhalation in a fire at his home in rural Cowley County.

Richard Schooley, 12267 U.S. 160, was pulled from the house alive but died at William Newton Hospital in Winfield, said Dan McClasky, a captain with Cowley County District 3 Fire Department. McClasky estimated Schooley to be in his 70s.

Schooley’s wife and adult grandson were able to escape the fire and call for help at 1:19 a.m.

McClasky described Schooley as a retired rancher.

“They were longtime residents, great people,” McClasky said. “Richard liked going down to the cafe. He always had a story to tell or a joke.”

McClasky said the fire likely started from a faulty extension cord attached to a space heater, adding that the modular house will likely be a total loss.

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service