Electrical problem blamed in fire at apartments on North Rock Road

09/11/2013 8:50 AM

09/11/2013 8:50 AM

An electrical wire sparked a fire Tuesday afternoon at a north Wichita apartment complex, causing $300,000 in estimated damage, a Wichita fire investigator said.

Investigator Chris Dugan said the wire that malfunctioned was in a wall at Northpark Residences, 2801 N. Rock Road. Eight units sustained damage, fire officials said. No one was hurt. Seven residents were displaced, officials said.

Firefighters arrived at the complex after someone in the apartment’s office called 911 shortly after 4:30 p.m. to report a fire in unit 2204, a Sedgwick County dispatch supervisor said. Smoke and flames seen coming from the building prompted a request for additional firefighters to respond, the dispatch supervisor said.

The fire was ruled accidental, Dugan said.

Contributing: Stan Finger of The Eagle

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the discussion

is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service