Memorial fund established for toddler killed in house fire

09/10/2013 2:20 PM

09/10/2013 2:37 PM

A memorial fund has been established for Austyn Scott, the toddler who died in a house fire in southwest Wichita late last month.

Austyn, who was 18 months old, was asleep on a couch in the living room of the rental home in which he lived in the 1800 block of South Everett when an extension cord under the couch failed on the night of Aug. 28 and sparked a fire that quickly consumed the couch and gutted the living room, fire investigators have said.

His aunt and her two young children were able to escape the fire, which ignited while the occupants were asleep. There was no working smoke detector in the house, investigators have said.

Austyn’s grandparents set up the memorial fund in Colorado, where they live.

Donations to the Austyn Taylor Scott Memorial Fund can be sent to:

High Country Bank

7360 W Highway 50

Salida, CO 81201

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

The Wichita Eagle is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service